The Perfect Fall Kava Recipe
By Kalm with Kava
Kava Tea with Rooibos Chai and Pumpkin Spice.
Each fall it’s not just the leaves that change color. Offices, stores, houses, clothing, our entire environment turns orange colored. And on the food and drink front, fall is characterized by the addition of pumpkin spice to every conceivable thing. This year, we’ve decided to join in the fun by adding this Creamy Pumpkin Spice Kava Chai to the repertoire of pumpkin recipes out there.
Pumpkin spice is perhaps a perfect pairing for a kava tea drink. It has a strong flavor that is ideal for helping to mask the unpleasant bitter taste that kava is known for. At the same time, pumpkin spice also has a somewhat earthy flavor, just like kava. Spices overall are an ideal complement to a drink of kava, even supposedly making it more potent, so it’s easy to see how a chai tea, the base for this recipe, and added spices, makes total sense.
Kava for social relaxation
So, for an extra Happy Halloween this fall we suggest you invite some friends over and brew up a cauldron of our Creamy Pumpkin Kava Chai and enjoy some super social relaxation.
This unique kava tea drink is sure to be a kava party hit. When scary looking monsters, ghouls, ghosts, and the normally nice neighborhood children come dressed in costumes, knocking at your front door, demanding candy and threatening to trick you if you don’t obey their wishes, you’ll be glad of the mind mellowing effect of the Creamy Pumpkin Kava Chai. It will make the evening of October 31st a lot less anxiety inducing.
And, depending on which kava variety you choose to use in your recipe, you may also find your body and limbs starts to feel a little bit heavy. Don’t worry, it’s normal when you drink a quality kava, but we promise your limbs won’t be so heavy you’ll be dragging your arms and legs behind you like a Zombie! You’ll just feel nicely mentally and physically relaxed.
- 4 Trader Joes Pumpkin Spice Rooibos Chai Tea Bags
- 1/4 cup of Coffee-Mate Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
- 2 pints of hot water
- 4 tablespoons of Kalm with Kava micronized instant kava.
- Sprinkle of pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnamon
- 4 cinnamon sticks (Optional)
Makes 4 Servings
- Place the 4 teabags in a heatproof bowl.
- Add the 2 pints of boiling water to the bowl. Take care when handling boiling water.
- Let the tea to brew for 5 minutes to create a full flavor tea. This will also allow time for the water to cool. Kava drinks are best made with tap temperature hot, not boiling water.
- Remove the tea bags from the bowl and add the 4 tablespoons of micronized instant kava.
- Stir well to mix thoroughly.
- Finally, add the ½ cup of Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer to the brew.
- Pour into 4 mugs, Halloween cups or authentic kava bilos (coconut shells)
- Sprinkle the top of each beverage with additional pumpkin spice, nutmeg and cinnamon according to your personal taste preference.
- Finish by adding a cinnamon stick stirrer to each beverage (Optional)
Note on Varieties for this kava drink: for early evening social relaxation and to ensure you don’t fall asleep too soon on Halloween and do not hear the knocking at your door, we recommend the following varieties of micronized instant kava for this recipe:
- Tongan Pouni Ono
- Vanuatu Borogu
- Vanuatu MeloMelo
Prep time: 5 minutes
Recipe Category: kava drink, relaxation drink
- If Trader Joes’ Pumpkin Spice Rooibos Tea is out of season or stock, any Rooibos Chai Tea can be used for this kava tea drink.
- Always use decaffeinated, herbal tea in any kava recipe. Caffeine is a stimulant and will counter the relaxation effects of kava, so we recommend you don’t combine the two.
View previous recipes.
Let us know what you think of our Creamy Pumpkin Spice Kava Chai.
Write a Recipe Review in the comments section below.
Bula and Happy Halloween everyone!