Our Coconut Hot Chocolate Kava is the perfect recipe for the winter months.
It is an earthy tasting, bittersweet, chocolate drink. The addition of coconut milk and water to a traditionally prepared warm kava tea add creaminess and a nod to the warm, tropical South Pacific islands where kava is grown. The kava brings you, and anyone who drinks it with you, the laid back ‘aloha’ vibe that is so conducive to relaxation or winter month hibernation at home, resting on the sofa with a good movie. And lastly, a few spoons of chocolate syrup bring a sweetness and the addition of an all time comforting food.
Recipe Alternative: *For a more health conscious recipe make your own chocolate milk by mixing and melting 1-2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder into the coconut milk and adding a tablespoon of either agave nectar or maple syrup to sweeten. Cacao, like kava, can be somewhat bitter tasting, so the addition of a sweeten like agave or syrup is essential to make this kava recipe work.
- Place 6 tablespoons of Medium Grind kava root powder into a muslin bag (our Pouni Ono Kava works great for this recipe).
- Place the bag in bowl and immerse the bag in 12-16 oz. of coconut water.
- Let the mixture steep in the bag in the bowl for 5 minutes.
- Knead the mixture in the bag in the coconut water for 5 minutes making sure not to let any of the coarse root fibers escape into the bowl. Squeeze the bag tight to extract any remaining liquid.
- Warm the coconut milk and chocolate syrup together in a microwave safe bowl or in a stovetop pan.
- Add the coconut milk mixture to the bowl and stir to mix
- Pour into two glasses and enjoy!
Servings: 2 servings
Calories per serving: 190 calories
Preparation time: 12 minutes
Optional Extra – Spice it Up: if you like your hot chocolate to have a spicy, hot kick, along the lines of South American Hot Chocolate stir in a 1/4 teaspoon of Ancho chili powder or paste to the warm chocolate milk. Adjust chili amount to your personal hotness preference. A sprinkling of spices like chili, cinnamon, nutmeg or cayenne can enhance a kava drink nicely and mask its’ bitter earthy flavor.
Recommended Kava Chasers: our recommended kava chaser for this drink is a small handful of chocolate-coated nuts or marshmallows. Pop them into your mouth to sweeten things up. Your taste buds will thank you.
Enjoy Hot or Cold!
This Coconut Chocolate kava recipe can be enjoyed hot or cold. For a cold beverage just add a cup of ice to the mix, stir and leave to chill for a minute before serving.
We always love to hear what you think of our kava recipe ideas, so let us know in the comments below.
Here’s to drinking more kava and sharing the love.
P.S Don’t forget to check out our other kava recipes: